SEEKONK LAND TRUST ANNUAL REPORT
Forging ahead in this crazy year, the Seekonk Land Conservation Trust (SLCT) has been productive working to preserve land in Seekonk and continuing to support environmental education in the Seekonk public schools and at the Seekonk Town Library. Listed below are some of its accomplishments and activities since November last year:
- Seekonk High School Biology students presented the results of their ongoing study of water quality in the Runnins River which the Land Trust helps to fund each year.
- Grants were given to teachers in support of field trips and environmental activities for all Seekonk schools as well as its annual donation to fund the Environmental Resource Center (ERC) at the Seekonk Library.
- Members of SLCT Board participated on Seekonk Town Boards:
Open Space and Recreation Committee (OSRC) - working to complete a plan which, once approved by the state of Massachusetts, will qualify Seekonk for additional funding for land preservation and recreation.
Community Preservation Committee (CPC) - working to identify local open space, community housing, recreation and historical preservation projects that are eligible for funds raised through the Community Preservation Act (CPA).
- The Land Trust also offers advice to residents of Seekonk interested in saving open space and farmland from development. SLCT land use consultant, Steve Sloan, helps guide landowners through the processes involved in setting up gifts of land, conservation restrictions (CRs), and Agricultural Preservation Restrictions (APRs).
- Events - The Land Trust joined with the Runnins River Alliance on a clean-up at the Martin Refuge in July and on a guided walk at the Martin Refuge in October.
At a time when we are ever more aware of the importance of our natural environment, we invite you to join us in our efforts to preserve the unique qualities of Seekonk. Any organization is a reflection of its members’ interests and support. We invite you to share your ideas and interests and join us on facebook or check our website to get involved.
In the meantime, we extend the best of holiday greetings to you and your family and our thanks for your continued support!
For further information, please see https://www.seekonklandtrust.org or follow us on www.facebook.com/seekonkLCT
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here