Selectmen Candidates Forum
The three candidates for Seekonk Board of Selectmen discussed various issues recently at a televised forum produced by TV9.
Newcomer Adam Petronio is running for a three year seat on the board, along with incumbents David Andrade and Nelson Almeida.
The town election is set for April 6 but may be delayed due to fears of the coronavirus.
Almeida cited Seekonk’s population increase as a top concern. “The biggest challenge is to keep up with the growth, maintain our schools to a point where we can take in all these additional students to give them a proper education, while keeping all the box stores and restaurants open on Route 6.”
“I think it is our responsibility to treat everyone with fairness and respect,” Petronio said. “I find myself to be an impartial person and I’ve dealt with difficult people, especially in government, and I think I have the tools to succeed at that.”
Almeida was critical of the Seekonk School Committee when answering a question about Town Administrator Shawn Cadime’s three year contract renewal. “What’s disappointing is on the school side, (Superintendent Rich Drolet) got a five year contract when he’s only been on for about a year with no track record,” Almeida said.
Andrade noted Cadime has done a “phenomenal job” in the position. Petronio criticized the way Cadime’s job performance evaluation was handled by Selectmen last year. “That’s a disservice to the town administrator and also to the board of selectmen,” Petronio said. “We just need to document a process for evaluation.”
The forum will air at various times on TV9.