Sturdy Memorial’s Emergency Department Offers Warm Weather Safety Tips
Attleboro, MA, June 15, 2020 — After months in quarantine fighting Coronavirus, the warm weather has finally arrived and spending time outside has never felt so good. Summertime activities might look a little different this year, but you should put safety at the top of your “to do” list so you can protect yourself and your family from accidents and injury. The Emergency Care Center (ECC) staff at Sturdy Memorial Hospital offer these tips for keeping families safe during the warm weather months.
- Have plenty of drinking water available.
- Never leave a child or pet in a car unattended.
- Know the early signs of heat stress, such as dizziness, weakness and profuse perspiration.
- Be mindful that certain drugs can increase sun sensitivity, causing the skin to burn in less time and with a lower level of sun exposure than normal. Check to see if your medication carries this warning label.
- Apply insect repellent to clothing and exposed skin. Avoid 100 percent DEET products for children. Always have an adult apply the repellent, and always follow the product’s instructions.
- Remember that scented products, such as perfumes and shampoos, tend to attract insects.
- Use ice for local reactions to bites and seek medical care for more extensive swelling or if any difficulty breathing.
- Do a “tick check” of all family members after outdoor activities.
Outdoor activities and sporting safety
- Know the rules of the road for biking, skating, running and walking.
- Remember to wear a helmet.
- In Massachusetts, it is illegal to set-off fireworks so please leave this to the professionals.
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water.
- This year, if you’re outside make sure to practice social distancing or wear a mask when you can’t be six feet apart from others.
- Wash your hands as much as possible, and use hand sanitizer to prevent the spread of germs.
Sturdy Memorial Hospital is a full-service, independent, financially stable, non-profit acute care community hospital in Attleboro, Massachusetts.