August 23, 2017

Seekonk Fire Department has Limited Number of Carbon Monoxide Detectors Available

Posted

The Seekonk Fire Department has recently received a limited number of Carbon Monoxide detectors as a donation from Kidde, the largest manufacturer of fire safety products in the world. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to CO gas, the CO molecules will displace the oxygen in their bodies and lead to poisoning. Since CO has no odor, color or taste, it cannot be detected by our senses. This means that dangerous concentrations of the gas can build up indoors and humans have no way to detect the problem until they become ill. The CDC estimated that approximately 400 people die from unintentional CO exposure every year in the United States. The good news is that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with simple actions such as maintaining fuel burning appliances and installing a CO detector. If you are a Seekonk resident and are in need of a CO detector or a smoke detector, please email Lt. William George Jr. at wgeorge@seekonkfd.com or leave a voicemail at (508)336-8510 extension 52200.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
Share!
Truly local news delivered to every home in town