March 26, 2017

Seekonk Fire Safety

Posted

Stay Warm, Stay Safe.

In 2009-2013, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 56,000 reported U.S. home structure fires, with associated losses of 470 civilian deaths, 1,490 civilian injuries, and $1.0 billion in direct property damage. These fires accounted for 16% of all reported home fires.
Based on 2009-2013 annual averages:
• Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for 40% of home heating fires and 84% of home heating fire deaths.

• The leading factor contributing to 30% of home heating fires was failure to clean, principally creosote from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.

• Placing things that can burn too close to heating equipment or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, was the leading factor contributing to ignition in fatal home heating fires and accounted for more than half (56%) of home heating fire deaths.

• Nearly 49% of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.

What you can do to be safe:
Furnaces/Chimneys
:
Have your furnaces and chimneys serviced every year.
Space Heaters:
Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from Space Heaters (i.e. drapes, furniture, and clothes).
Use the heater on a level surface, away from areas where people and/or animals may knock it over.
When using an extension cord (which is not recommended), use a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating that of the heater itself (usually orange in color).
Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
Keep electric heaters away from water. DO NOT use them in the bathroom.
Unvented Kerosene Heaters are dangerous fire & carbon monoxide risk. They are also illegal in Massachusetts.

Have Working Smoke Detectors And Carpbon Monoxide Detectors In Your Home. At a minimum, there should be a Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector located outside of each bedroom and on each floor of the residence.
If you are in need of a smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector, please call Seekonk Human Services at
508-336-8772.

(Source: NFPA's “Home Fires Involving Heating Equipment"
report by Richard Campbell, April 2016)

(Source: Massachusetts State Fire Marshal)

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
Share!
Truly local news delivered to every home in town