News & Notes from the Blanding Library
It’s another busy and fun summer at the Blanding with a full slate of free programs for children. Library staff are ready and waiting to help all students with their summer reading selections. Be sure to check the calendar on the library’s website for more details on all events. The special summer programs are made possible by the Friends of the Blanding Library. The summer reading program (“Universe of Stories”) is sponsored by the library, the MA library system, the Boston Bruins and the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners.
Special Summer Programs
- THE NIGHT SKY, July 10, 3 shows beginning at 5:30 p.m. Come enjoy the Museum of Science’s inflatable planetarium.
- THE MAGICAL CAT, July 11 at 10:30 a.m. Carla Marrero will read her book, followed by a craft. For all ages.
- PREMIER MARTIAL ARTS, July 12 at 10 a.m. and Aug. 13 at 4 p.m. Learn basic moves and the benefits of this art. For ages 5-12.
- AEROSPACE “CAMP”. Three separate dates: July 15 at 2 p.m., July 17 & 18 at 10:30 a.m. Explore the science of flight, create a glider, build a simple rocket, as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing. Grades 1-4, ages 6-10. Registration required.
- BALLOON ALIENS! July 16, 10:30 a.m. Balloon twisting with Ed the Wizard, for all ages.
- ALIEN ANTS! July 22 at 6 p.m. Create a 12-inch three-dimensional model ant. For ages 7 and up, registration required.
- FAMILY YOGA: July 23 and Aug. 13 at 10:15 a.m. Free parent/child event, for babies and children up to age 8.
- MR. VINNY’S BUBBLE SHOW, July 24 at 6 p.m. Fun for all ages. Outdoors, unless it is raining.
- OWLS, July 25 at 10:30 a.m. Explore their calls, habitat, diet and more, for all ages, registration required.
- YOUNG ADULT BOOK CLUB, July 25, 6-7 p.m. Snacks provided. Check with library for title of the month.
- GALAXY NECKLACE, July 31 and Aug. 21 both at 6 p.m. Create a glass pendant necklace with an astronomy theme. Ages 8 and up (adults too). Registration required.
- WHALE ALERT, Aug. 5 at 5:30 p.m. Local author Angela Kakabeeke shares her new book, along with hands-on activities, crafts, and facts about the right whale. Fiona the 55-foot inflatable whale will be available for visiting.
- FIONA THE WHALE, Aug. 6. Stop in between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. to step inside Fiona, the inflatable whale.
- ROCKETS AND AIRPLANES, Aug. 7 at 10:30 a.m. Ed the Wizard returns to test your piloting skills with flight accuracy, stunts, and more.
Story Hours & More
- TOT TIME for children under age 3, on Wednesdays, July 10-Aug 21, at 10 a.m. Songs, finger play, music and movement. Please register.
- YUM-YUM STORY HOURS, Mondays July 15, 22 and 29 at 10:30 a.m. for ages 4 and up. Children will listen to a fun story, then Chef Amanda will help the kids to get creative with food. No cooking involved. Come play with your food. Please register. NOTE: Inquire before attending if your child has a food allergy.
- OUTERSPACE STORY HOURS: Mondays Aug. 5, 12, 19, or Thursdays Aug. 8, 15, and 22, all at 10:30 a.m. Ages 3 and up. Older siblings welcome. Registration required.
- READ & BEAD: Calling all readers – stop in for your necklace and “brag tag”, track your reading minutes and turn those minutes into beads.
- MUSEUM PASSES: Planning some day trips this summer? Check with the Blanding for a selection of discount passes to museums and other attractions in southern New England. The passes are free to borrow with your SAILS library card.
The Blanding Public Library is located at 124 Bay State Rd., Rehoboth. Hours are Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Library closed on Sundays and holidays. Phone: 508-252-4236 (blandinglibrary.net.)