State ProStart Invitational
Thursday February 7th at the Providence Omni Hotel. 7 RI High Schools sending teams
Road to the National Competition
The road to the National ProStart Invitational begins at the state level. State restaurant association partners host competitions for interested ProStart schools within their state. The victors advance to the National ProStart Invitational, where they’ll represent not just their school, but their entire state.
Two Challenging Competitions
Local schools compete in two distinct competitions at the state level – management and culinary events.
Management teams develop a proposal for the next hot restaurant concept and present it to a panel of industry judges. Next, their ability to think on their feet will be tested as they quickly solve challenges managers face on a daily basis.
Team #1: Second Chance Diner
Adriana Peixoto (9th Grade), Michelle Moniz (9th Grade) & Jasmine Hazard, (12th Grade)
Their concept is: A business that aims to make a difference in their community. A Diner specializing in comfort food that hires & teaches an employability skill to people who need a second chance (people with addiction, criminal backgrounds, homelessness etc).
Their Slogan “It’s not just good food, it’s good food that does good for the community.”
Menu items are named for famous people who made a difference in people’s lives(MLK, Jackie Robinson, Mother Teresa, Sojourner Truth etc. )
Booths are named for people who made the most of their second chance opportunity (Malcom X, Katherine Coleman Goble Johnson, JK Rowling, Stephen King etc. )
Loyalty card members can choose to cash in their earned free meal or donate it to a homeless shelter or food bank, non-perishables are collected at entrance & all leftovers are donated to a local food bank.
Furthermore, local food is utilized to keep the money in the local community.
Second Chance Diner Menu
1. The Mother Theresa: A Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole featuring a hearty bowl of local potatoes, free range eggs and Prostartville’s own Smith Farms Maple Sausage baked and served golden brown.
2. The Mahatma Ghandi: Thick-cut French Toast on Portuguese sweet bread with just the right amount of cinnamon. Served with your choice of Prostartville’s own Smith Farms Maple Sausage or House smoked Applewood Bacon from Smith Farms Pork Belly.
3. The Harriet Tubman Our Breakfast House-Special: A Pan Seared breakfast burrito with Farm Fresh local eggs, our House smoked Applewood Bacon made with Smith Farms Pork Belly, Prostartville creamery Sharp Cheddar wrapped in a flour tortilla then pan seared to crispy perfection.
1. The Frederick Douglass: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese: The ultimate comfort food combo, Homemade Tomato Soup with Local Tomatoes & Fresh Local Basil. Grilled Cheese on your choice of locally sourced bread with Prostartville Creamery’s Sharp Cheddar Cheese and a homemade pickle on the side. Just like mom used to make.
2. The Dali Lama: Pepperoni or Sausage Pizza Sliders (4) : Locally Sourced Sweet Hawaiian Buns, topped with our famous Marinara Sauce, Prostartville Creamery Fresh Mozzarella and your choice of Smith Farms uncured Pepperoni or Smith Farms Sweet Italian Sausage (Or do half sausage & half Pepperoni, We aim to please at the Second Chance Diner) Served with hand cut locally sourced hand-cut sweet potato fries & a homemade pickle on the side.
3. The Rosa Parks: Chicken Pot Pie: Roasted Free-Range chicken, locally sourced vegetables, in a yummy gravy baked in a flaky homemade pie crust.
1. The Sojourner Truth: Bacon Wrapped, Cheddar Stuffed, MIle-High Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy: A blend of Smith Farms fresh (never frozen) lean ground beef and minced pork, stuffed with Prostartville Creamery Sharp Cheddar, perfectly seasoned, then wrapped in House-smoked Applewood Bacon made with Smith Farms Pork Belly, served with mushroom gravy and your choice of hand cut locally sourced hand-cut sweet potato fries or sweet potato mash.
2. The Muhammed Ali: Baked Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumb topping: House made ricotta cavatelli baked with a blend of three Prostartville Creamery cheeses (Sharp Cheddar, Gruyere & Swiss) then topped with our famous buttery breadcrumbs.
3. The Abraham Lincoln: Southern Fried Chicken with Biscuits and gravy: Smith Farms free-range chicken, marinated in local buttermilk, then battered and fried. Served with fresh pan gravy, homemade Prostartville Creamery Cheddar Biscuits, and your choice of hand cut locally sourced hand-cut sweet potato fries or sweet potato mash.
4. The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr: Grilled Pork chops: Smith Farms bone-in heritage pork chops grilled and topped with Spiced Apple & Red Pepper Chutney. Served with house made locally sourced apple sauce and your choice of hand cut locally sourced hand-cut sweet potato fries or sweet potato mash.
1. The Susan B. Anthony: Oreo Cheesecake: Oreo Cookie Crust with creamy vanilla cheesecake . The perfect ending to a great meal
2. The Jackie Robinson: Hot Apple Pie: Locally Sourced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger in a homemade pie crust. The secret ingredient is love.
(All Attached Photos Credit: Paul Martin)
Team #2: Laguna Food Truck
Kyle Duggan, Luana Rodrigues, Shelby Wilkerson, Nayele Viera & Kyle Xavier
Their concept is a Poke Bowl & smoothie food truck served from a double decker bus with an enclosed dining area on the upper deck. Poke is a traditional Hawaiian dish which is prepared using diced raw fish and can be served as an appetizer or a main course. Their unique twist on the Poke Bowl is to offer options that include grilled chicken, as well as vegetarian options. The enclosed dining area gives them a leg up on competing food trucks by offering safe harbor from weather, noise and crowds.