Breathing New Life into an Old Church
The Chapel of St. Therese of Lisieux in West Warwick Begins Major Renovation of 118-Year Old Church Exterior in June
West Warwick—June 14, 2021—The Chapel of St. Therese of Lisieux, 1500 Main Street, West Warwick, has begun a major renovation of the exterior of their historic church building formerly owned by the Centreville Methodist Episcopal Church. The existing building was built in 1903 after a devastating fire destroyed the original 1806 church, on February 9, 1902. The renovation, which is expected to be completed by the end of June, will include repairing and/or replacing deteriorated parts of the structure, removing and repairing the stained-glass windows, replacing damaged siding, and painting the entire building.
Established in 2010, the Chapel of St. Therese of Lisieux, formerly known as St. Therese Old Catholic Church, is a Catholic Community that is part of the Catholic Diocese of One Spirit and part of the Global Independent Catholic Movement that functions outside the jurisdiction of Rome. Previously located in Providence, RI, the parish bought the former Centreville Methodist Episcopal Church building in 2014 and has been gradually renovating interior sections of the building while maintaining the historic aspects of the central interior of the church.
The Chapel of St. Therese of Lisieux is a different kind of Catholic with the mission of bringing the Sacraments to all who seek them, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital, personal, or religious history, perceived social status, or any other factor. Saint T’s, strives to be Christ to the world by being involved in the local community through their work with youth, the elderly, the poor, the marginalized, and the forgotten. Saint T’s tends to the well-being of the entire person by offering programs that provide healthy environments to share life’s challenges and victories.